Sunday, September 9, 2012

Heroes



Today at Park Day we took turns sharing about our heroes. We discussed what qualities make a hero. Some kids said heroes are brave, creative, they help the world. I got excited about this topic and knew immediately who I wanted to share with the group.

His name is Michael Reynolds and I find him to be fascinating. He graduated from college at the beginning of the 1970's with a degree in architecture. After graduating, he began experimenting with building materials that are considered trash such as aluminum cans, glass bottles, and old tires. The magical thing about his creations were that these items didn't need to go through an energy intensive recycling process to be used again. Instead, he discovered that packing an old tire with dirt became an incredible insulator and he could build walls from them.

As his experimentation progressed, he began figuring out ways to live comfortably, completely off the grid in the middle of the dessert. Through the use of reclaiming rainwater, solar panels and greenhouses inside the homes, people could live comfortably in challenging climates.

Now, decades later, he takes what he has learned and teaches it to people in the United States who want to learn.  He also goes to countries ravaged by disasters such as tsunamis or earthquakes and teaches how to build a sustainable home from trash.

I just can't get enough of this guy! I feel like he addresses so many foundational problems and has created brilliant solutions.

For more information on him check out www.garbagewarrior.com



What was extra special about today was that Nora Lee did her first presentation. She enjoys performing on stage and has done several improv shows and other performances, however this was the first time she was sharing information with a group in a presentational format.

She has had many other opportunities to learn about something and share the information with a group but has never expressed interest in doing so. When the topic of "heroes" came up, she got really excited. She had a hard time deciding who she wanted to share about. I gave many suggestions but nothing felt like the right fit to her. Then suddenly she said, "What about William Shakespeare?" I told her I thought that would be an excellent choice, even though I wasn't sure how much she knew about him. We talked about her love of theater, dramatics, and storytelling and realized they had a lot in common.

A few years ago we happened upon a PBS show of Hamlet as an Italian Opera and she was riveted. I didn't understand her interest in it then and I still don't, but she watched a good chunk of it (including the Ophelia suicide scene - parents, start your judging now).

She has mentioned a desire to see Hamlet again several times throughout the years but I've shied away from true Shakespeare in its original tongue because it's hard for me to understand and I've assumed Nora Lee would feel the same.

But, last night after we figured out her presentation (which was very short and sweet) I turned on Much Ado About Nothing and she watched the first 20 minutes or so and thought it was great.

So, I'm on the lookout for some Shakespeare I can take her to see and I plan to get some books from the library about Shakespeare and his body of work that we can both appreciate.

Her presentation went well and I'm excited that the door to this form of communication has now been opened and perhaps will be easier to go through again soon.

No comments: