Friday, June 11, 2010

Our Garden




For those of you who haven't been to our house in a while, we have turned most of our front yard into a vegetable and fruit garden. We have three 10 x 5 wooden boxes on what used to be our front lawn. Two years ago I planted several fruit trees which are just starting to produce - peach, apricot, apple, fig, and lowquat. We have two old trees in the back, lemon and orange, which produce plentifully. I'm dreaming of adding grape vines and some berry bushes.



In the beginning of March we planted a bunch by seed but they were eaten by the squirrels. We've taught Nora Lee to shake her fist and holler, "Those darn squirrels!" It was the first time I tried planting directly into the ground rather than growing plants in tiny pots and transplanting them later. I really just provided a squirrel buffet for a few days.

In any case, I bought plants and replaced everything that had been eaten and began growing the following: zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, butternut squash and cucumbers. A few weeks ago we began harvesting the zucchini and cucumbers and are having a plentiful harvest, to say the least!




We are regularly bringing in bucketfuls of squash and cucumbers. I have made six loaves of zucchini bread and just shredded and froze enough zucchini to make 21 more loaves! I just began making chocolate, chocolate chip zucchini bread with cinnamon and walnuts. Delicious!!



Our tomatoes are on the way and I've just cleared out more space in the yard to grow more. We are having a blast!

No comments: