Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Friends from Germany

Each year Matt spends two weeks in Canada at an international improv festival.  This is incredible for him for many reasons, but one is that he meets interesting and kind people from around the world.  

Two women improvisors from Germany, Louisa and Lena, stayed with us this week and they are lovely, lovely, people.  They are in the process of exploring Los Angeles and up the coast to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and then will go on to Chicago and then back to Germany.

I really admire their dedication to seeing the world and their courage in doing so.  Louisa spent a week on her own in Los Angeles, figuring out public transportation (which overwhelms me completely even as a native).  They stayed in hostels and met new people and really seemed to soak up the experience of being in a different country.

We had the privilege of talking about our countries and what it's like to be a citizen in the United States and Germany.  I've become so jaded about our own political system and the incredible power that Corporate America holds over our wellbeing as citizens.  I'm sure the Germany government and political system is far from perfect (they never are) but it lifted my spirits to hear that as citizens, Louisa and Lena felt that the government, for the more part, had their best interests at heart.  I don't feel this way at all about my own government.  

I also admire Louisa's and Lena's language abilities.  They both speak German (obviously!) and English fluently (with a very strong vocabulary, I might add) and Louisa also speaks French.  

Although travel to Europe is considered a fancy thing to do in our country, when I meet travelers from other countries, particularly Europe, I feel like experiencing other countries and cultures is a high priority.  People make it happen and they do so in any way they can.  They don't just wait until they can afford the plane tickets and the fancy hotels.  They stay with friends or friends of friends, they are open to meeting new people.

I'm ready to bring in more travel for me and my family.  I've been thinking about exploring Home Exchange and exploring other ways to make travel happen now!


We explore a vintage clothing shop on Melrose